Thursday, July 31, 2008

I bought a book...


...and DAMN it felt good.

Actually, I practically had to do it.

This morning I arrived at work an hour early to have some coffee, escape the heat and relax. I showed turned up at the 10th floor break room just as Pulitzer Prize Winner David Maraniss was about to talk about his book Rome 1960: The Olympics that Changed the World. Maraniss is a fellow Badger (of sorts), and as I enjoyed his book on Vince Lombardi I hung around the edges of the twenty or so people gathered there to listen.
I quickly realized I needed a copy of the book, oath to not buy books be damned. During the question and answer session I sneaked down to the lobby, grabbed some cash and dashed back upstairs to buy my copy.

A few moments later I got to meet him and he signed my book. I introduced myself to the Madison resident as a Badger (I was wearing a Wisconsin cap). As we bantered I asked him if he would ever write a book about Hank Aaron and the 1957 Braves. He said he did not have plans to as he had already written the Roberto Clemente book, but he quickly noted that he was an admirer of Aaron. He also noted - to my delight - that a colleague of his was working on a book about Aaron. Unfortunately I cannot recall the author’s name as it was unfamiliar to me, but I will keep an eye out for such a project in the future.

Finally, I was able to slip him a copy of my chap book, which he graciously accepted.

Not a bad morning…

No comments: