Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Holding

Last night on A Daily Show, John Stewart interviewed former political operative Allen Raymond on his book of campaign dirty tricks How To Rig an Election.

With the presidential primary campaigns in full gear, this is one of several books on the topic currently floating around, and one I probably would have picked up on my lunch break this afternoon.

Instead I placed a hold through the library. The library's one copy of the book is currently being processed and I am number 7 in the holds list.

I am posting this as a place marker as I am to see how long it takes before I get the book.

Update:

I checked out my copy of How to Rig an Election on 2/28, the day after I was contacted that it was available. By my count it took 37 days for me to get my copy. At the time of my request there was one copy in the system. I just check the library's holdings and they now have eight, reflecting some demand for the book.

For this title - which I read completely - the wait was acceptable. In fact, it was a good but not great book, but one that I would have bought nonetheless. Waiting for the book to become available definitely saved me money.

On a related note, once I place a hold on a book I rarely cancel it before it comes in. I think this reflects my needs as a reader and the Denver Public Library's ability to respond in a timely fashion to those needs.

No comments: