Sunday, February 3, 2008

Janaury Tally

One month down, eleven to go. In my quest to not buy a book for an entire year I checked out 7 books in the month of January. At first glance I was surprised at how few books I did check out, but that is close to two a week.

I kept a spreadsheet of my titles, what each book cost and whether I thought I would have purchased each title or not. Then I took an average of the book cover price and what it sells for on Amazon.com and through Barnes & Nobles web site.

I determined that I would have purchased 5 of those 7 books. Since I checked them out instead I saved $79.71.

According to the Denver Public Library's "Library Value Calculator" my 7 books:

I received $27.66 individual return on investment meaning for every dollar in taxes I spend on the library, I received $27.66 value in return for the month of January.

Also according to the calculator, my seven books, one of which I received via inter library loan, I received a monthly value of $115.00 for the month of January.

Not bad.

No comments: